less perfection, more grace

Dear Reader,

I have noticed an interesting and refreshing trend in posts from a number of my favorite blog writers lately.  These writers have taken up the topic of perfectionism and blogging/using other social media and the tendency to compare one's self to others.  These writers have shared quite honestly their own limitations and what trade-offs they have made to accomplish their work.  I am thrilled for these posts and their candor for a few reasons.

Stopping comparisons.  Reading about others' experiences is refreshing, intriguing, and inspiring.  I sometimes find it difficult though not to think on my experiences relative to the others, and that step is problematic.  When I begin comparing myself or situations in my life to someone else, no one wins.  Instead I hope that by reading, I celebrate a success or support someone who is challenged and leave behind the reflection on how our experiences stack up.

Vulnerability.  I have loved these posts for the honesty behind them.  Keeping it real is humbling.  Being authentic about my own limitations makes me vulnerable.  I hope that what I write is real and true.  And I hope that what I read from others reflects their experiences as they truly are occurring.  I struggle with balancing how much to share through social media, and it is helpful to know that others question this as well.

Grace. I need reminders to give grace and receive it for myself.  Rather than being judgmental, I want to choose acceptance.  Rather than choosing cynicism, I want to choose positive thoughts and hopes.  Rather than choosing to be discouraged, I want to choose to be inspired.

In writing blog posts (and reading plenty) for the past few years, I have been so encouraged by some of the common threads from my experience to theirs.  I also have found some significant - sometimes challenging, sometimes comforting - words shared through this media.  And so these recent posts have once again sparked my interest in blogging and reassured me that this art, this work, this enjoyment of sharing online has purpose and has authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment